K-pop, Korean entertainment/culture, Korean fans/netizens [2014~]

TV Show discusses how 'swag' and 'Show Me The Money' falsify hip-hop


Kisum: People use 'swag' a lot these days. I feel like the word is being overused. Swag used to mean one's own charm, but the meaning has changed.



Tyler: I heard the word a lot. I'm sick of it. The reason why swag started to be used for "coolness" is because of the hip-hop industry. In fact, swag originated from minor cultures like "I'm proud of myself because I'm different from you." I think the meaning of the word changed a lot in Korea. In the US, the word is used by hip-hoppers only. The fact that people whose identify isn't associated with hip-hop use swag is weird. If 'Show Me The Money' gets known to the US, it will receive negative responses because it won't be seen as hip-hop. In my opinion, to identify hip-hop, you have to ask if they were being pressured socially or if they fought against the system to reach where they are. If you succeeded without a big struggle, it's very offensive the US.



MC: American hip-hop started from a slum. The boys and girls left their parents at a young age and they wanted to portray their emptiness and rage in a rap. Hip-hop started from wearing big pants which used to be your older brother's and humming random words without an instrument near a fireplace. What's the point of swag when the word lost its original roots?



MC: I'm not sure if current Korean hip-hop wants to send a message to the world or diss other artists for their own success.

=

Instiz: Tyler, "Show Me The Money is an insult to hip-hop in the US"

- Tryhard culture ㅋㅋㅋㅋ

- If hip-hop is only allowed for people who grew up with struggles, I don't think many people can do hip-hop in Korea. Majority of people grow up in normal households fed by their parents...

- The lyrics never forget to mention women, swear, judge bodies, and downgrade...

- There were Korean rappers that criticized Show Me The Money but they ended up appearing on the show because Show Me The Money brings money. What's more funny is that this is the type of system that hip-hop criticizes the most.

- Hip-hop artists always rap about their haters that don't even exist

- Reminds me of BTS Suga's lyrics "It's not like I couldn't go on Show Me The Money, I chose not to"

- The original meaning aside, hip-hop could be transformed according to the Korean culture, no? I like Korean hip-hop. K-hip hop is a thing just like Korean-Chinese cuisine

Back To Top