Article: "Reading is burdensome"... People avoid reading
Source: Money Today via Naver
1. [+1556, -192] Books are quite expensive.
2. [+913, -18] Standardization of book prices was a shitty law but the reason for the low rates of reading isn't because of the price standardization nor being busy. It's because there are many more contents like Youtube and games that are more fun than reading. Even if you don't have enough time, you can still find some spare time for reading. You can afford a book by not buying two cups of coffee. There's a library in every neighborhood. At the end, we just don't want to read.
3. [+998, -150] It's an excuse to say you don't have time to read. You can finish a book in a month by reading for 10 minutes before going to bed.
4. [+570, -17] The problem isn't the lack of time. It's that people these days don't have the ability to read. It's also the problem of the education system.
5. [+314, -11] Sometimes, when I feel discouraged by the book prices, I rent books from a library.
6. [+180, -2] In the US, e-books are half of the price of physical books. But our country doesn't have many e-books and the e-book prices are similar to physical books. And it's impossible to have discounts because of the standardization law. In Europe, books that are older than 1 year and 8 months don't have discount limits but it's impossible to have any discounted book in our country.
7. [+166, -31] Let's read a book instead of being on our smartphones.
8. [+126, -6] Our country needs to produce pocketsize books and sell them for cheap like the US and Japan do. Books are only read for once or twice, they don't need to look pretty and fancy. A book costs more than $16 because it's full-colored with a belt. The size needs to be shrunk into half and the paper should be coarse paper. That way, books will be cheaper and lighter. Then it'll be easier to carry it and I could take it out of my bag whenever I'm commuting. Instead of making books look fancy for the sake of charging a high price, we need to focus on pocketsize book production.