K-pop, Korean entertainment/culture, Korean fans/netizens [2014~]

Male-female friend groups are rare in Korea?

Pann: I realized how rare male-female friend groups are

1. [+239, -2] Isn't it because guys and girls get shipped so much in Korea? When opposite sexes hang out together, people will always ask if they're dating. It's either opposite sexes stop being friends because of the misunderstanding or they don't bother to be seen together because they don't want to be misunderstood. Naturally, people end up in all-female groups or all-male groups.

2. [+167, -3] It's true that they're rare.

3. [+112, -4] Wow, I really agree that male-female groups almost don't exist in Korea.

4. [+76, -3] I don't know about other countries but in Korea, it's always those problematic delinquents that are in male-female groups. Like other commenters are saying, I also want to go on a picnic in a group of 2-males and 2-females like true friends ㅠㅠ

5. [+75, -0] I really like the friend group in Cheese in the Trap ㅋㅋ

6. [+71, -0] My ideal friendship is the neighbourhood friends in Reply 1998 ㅠㅠ Their gender aside, I really envy that they have true friends like that.

7. [+66, -0] It's because some people date within the group and it disbands the group.

8. [+47, -0] In university, there are a lot of male-female groups but in a month, all of them are dating each other ㅋㅋ

9. [+47, -3] I'm not stereotyping delinquents but isn't it usually delinquents that hang out in male-female groups?

10. [+38, -29] I've been living aboard and I was also curious about this. I think it's because Korea is extremely heterosexual and lacks knowledge in queer rights. So people think everyone is straight and they think guys and girls can't be friends. They always say "a guy and a girl can't be friends if they have alcohol and a night together."

11. [+35, -0] It's because people ship opposite sexes but honestly, people aren't too cool with friends of the opposite sex in Korea unlike other countries. People show off their friends of the opposite sex as if they're cool but they actually have feelings for one of them. They also want to get attention from the opposite sex in that way. Besides, you don't really share preferences with the opposite sex, either.

12. [+23, -2] I'm in a group of 1-female and 5-male friends and I really enjoy it, but it's a secret to my parents. I go to their places, cook barbecue, make pancakes, and get along with them. However, it's a secret because others won't take it nicely. But we only do healthy things like going to PC cafes and playing LoL and PUBG, going to night movies, walking me home, studying together, and ordering night food... They're my best friends.

Back To Top