K-pop, Korean entertainment/culture, Korean fans/netizens [2014~]

Netizens discuss the culture of avoiding back seats a.k.a "head seats"

Pann: A basic manner that a lot of people aren't aware of

(In Korea, back seats in cars are seen as "head seats". So only old people or superior people can sit in the back seats. For example, if you're driving for a senior, the senior can sit in the back. Or if you're a taxi driver, the customers can sit in the back.)

1. [+287, -137] When your co-worker is giving you a ride and he's a married man, don't you usually avoid sitting next to him? I don't think his wife will like it.

2. [+276, -261] I don't feel comfortable when someone not close to me sits in the passenger seat. I just want them to sit in the back. It can't be called a basic manner when the preferences are divided like this.

3. [+274, -49] The back seats are head seats ㅠㅠ It's a basic manner in real life.

4. [+186, -79] I personally don't understand why manners like this exist.

5. [+153, -23] It feels like an old-mindset that became a manner.

6. [+120, -9] Shut up, everybody. Just open the door of the passenger seat and ask the driver if you should sit there. The back seats are indeed head seats and old people are really sensitive about it. I'm giving you realistic advice so you won't be called rude in social settings.

7. [+82, -16] People don't really know if they don't own a car. How would you know unless you've given a ride for someone?

8. [+81, -38] Default is the passenger seat and the back seats are optional. This is something that's taught as a basic manner in major companies. Stop coming up with excuses, just do the basics. Just how many ignorant people are out there that the major companies are teaching this to their new workers?

9. [+76, -8] I'm 26 and I didn't know this was a basic manner. I've always sat in the back because the driver had stuff on the passenger seat and I didn't want them to feel uncomfortable. One day, I gave a ride to someone. I told them to sit in the back and they were really apologetic to be sitting in head seats. I don't mind whether they sit in the front or the back, so I remember being confused. I try to avoid riding on someone's car because I can't decide whether to sit in the passenger seat or the back.

10. [+72, -12] I prefer them to sit in the back if they're not close to me... I feel awkward if they sit in the front. And if my boyfriend gives a ride to a woman, I'd want her to sit in the back because the passenger seat is mine.

11. [+70, -34] Sitting in the passenger seat is the default unless the driver tells you to sit in the back. I didn't know people weren't aware of this manner until I read the comments...

12. [+68, -1] A lot of people don't know the manner, don't be too upset~

Back To Top