K-pop, Korean entertainment/culture, Korean fans/netizens [2014~]

Does an idol group's name matter?

Pann: Group name doesn't matter vs. It matters, you have to name it well

1. [+152, -39] In the past, idol groups were always in English but people changed their minds after BTS and GFriend.

2. [+149, -46] Am I the only one who thinks EXO and Twice are really pretty names? I really think these two groups have good names.

3. [+115, -23] The English names must sound funny to English-speaking people. Seventeen (17), Blackpink (colors), Bigbang (space explosion), NCT (new city), Twice (twins)...

4. [+84, -0] Everything aside, Gugudan is the worst... I don't understand what they were thinking.

5. [+61, -0] There was an idol group named K-much. Since then, I realized you have to be considerate to name a group.

6. [+42, -0] I don't necessarily think English names sound fancy.

7. [+42, -0] Am I the only one who's embarrassed by Konglish group names?

8. [+39, -5] I just wish they won't use common words. When I have to search up the words, I only get idol results. And Bulletproof Boys' Scout is considered fine because they're called BTS in English but I don't think it's a good name, either. I prefer unique hangul names like Bolbbalgan4. Some people mention 2NE1 but there was already a group named 21. That's why they changed it to 2NE1.

9. [+34, -0] If the group name is weird, they'll be made fun of even if they're popular. So why can't they just give a good name from the start?

10. [+33, -0] Gugudan is a big no... The CEO of Gugudan told his friend the idea of Gugudan. The friend later remembered the name, which is why the CEO decided to go with it. But the friend didn't forget the name because it was shocking, not because it's a good name.

Back To Top