K-pop, Korean entertainment/culture, Korean fans/netizens [2014~]

Popularity of K-pop idols in other countries



Pann: EXO's popularity in the US





I'm sorry to say this but EXO has no popularity in the US. I've been living in Manhattan for three years and I've noticed that a lot of netizens think EXO is a real world star. A lot of people know K-pop but not a lot of them even have listened to K-pop songs. Most of them only heard Gangnam Style... But they don't even know that Psy is Korean. Anyways, it's hard to find fans of idols like EXO, Bigbang, Infinite. When I show them a picture of EXO, they don't say that EXO members are handsome... And J-pop is more popular than K-pop. Honestly I'm a fan of EXO but this is the reality. 


=====


1. [+101, -7] I live in Chicago. I'm not sure about EXO but I think B.A.P has a big recognition. They did a performance in Chicago and I saw picture of them on Instagram a lot. EXO is popular among Koreans and Chinese. I went to my Chinese friend's birthday party and the Chinese people were gathered around and were talking about EXO ㅋㅋ They actually prefer Korean members than Chinese members.

2. [+60, -1] I live in Germany and B.A.P is really popular. They were #1 on German chart a lot. EXO and Shinee are pretty popular, too.

3. [+54, -122] They're the most popular ones in Korea, kid.

4. [+45, -30] I live in California. A lot of students in my school know K-pop. Everyone knows Gangnam Style and they even know the dances of Sorry Sorry and Nobody. Most of them know Bigbang, EXO, SNSD and Super Junior ㅋㅋ Sometimes, when I walk around the hall, I see students watching idol music videos. When SNSD Gee was popular, American students in my school danced the song at a talent show. I also saw boys dancing EXO Growl. My neighborhood doesn't really listen to J-pop. They said J-pop was popular before K-pop got popular.

5. [+35, -2] EXO is popular in China and Japan and B.A.P is very popular in Western countries.

6. [+34, -1] From what I see, B.A.P is popular... I like One Direction and my friends told me that they saw a B.A.P poster in the Best Song Ever music video. I see them on the chart a lot and they're always in top 10 on K-pop chart. I hope they get big.

7. [+34, -0] Want me to tell you something sad? I came to Seattle to study.... but... do you know who's popular here...? B.A.P... I came here to study but all I'm good at is English and French, I only fangirl them now...

8. [+33, -0] I lived in Germany and moved to Washington. A lot of people say that EXO is very popular in China and Korea. But their popularity here is, hm... A few people know EXO but they have no popularity. B.A.P kids are more popular. So many people know B.A.P. Even though their popularity is not equivalent to EXO's Korean popularity, they're popular in Europe and in the US.

9. [+31, -13] Foreigners don't know who EXO or FuckXo is. Neither do I.

10. [+28, -2] Honestly places like L.A only like artists like 2NE1 and Psy. Even SNSD is more unpopular than 2NE1 in the US. SNSD's popularity in Japan is no joke though... 2NE1 has a world tour because they're popular in Western countries.


Back To Top